On the 7th-9th of October Moscow will host the most important and culminating event of VI All-Russian Festival of Science - XI Moscow Festival of Science. This year the main theme of the event will be the present and the future of the Russian space program.
In 2016 in the aerospace industry there have been a number of significant events: the first launch of "Lomonosov" satellite from new cosmodrome "East", the discovery of gravitational waves by Russian scientists as a part of the international collaboration the LIGO, and, of course, the 55th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's flight into space!
Unchanged is the motto of the festival - "Make your discovery!" Science festival aims to engage children from early age in innovative activities, give them feel themselves engineers, inventors, kindle in them the spark of interest in science, raise a new generation of progressive Russian scientists and raise prestige of scientific career. In addition to the traditional events lectures, workshops, research shows, the festival will serve as a business platform for interaction between science, business and society.
Science Festival program in Moscow is intended for a broad audience without age restrictions, and all the activities in it are free. This year is planned to nearly 3,000 unique events, including:
• Lecture hall "Golden lectures" in the Fundamental library of MSU. Guests of the festival will be able to listen to the open lectures of famous Russian and foreign scientists, winners of the state awards of the Russian Federation;
• Lecture of Nobel laureate in economics, professor James Alexander Mirrlees (Edinburgh, UK) with the theme "Economics in the long run: growth, inequality and regulation";
• The largest interactive popular science exhibition. Part of the exhibition will be devoted to the future and the present of Russian cosmonautics. Each visitor will be able to get acquainted with the sensational discoveries in the space industry for the past 100 years. Some of the exhibits will be presented to the public for the first time;
• Teleconferences with the International Space Station, the cosmodrome "East", the European Organization for Nuclear Research. It is a unique opportunity to learn all about space and modern science firsthand - personally from the ISS cosmonauts and key scientists in real time;
• Open meeting with the astronauts which have already visited the ISS in space and only passing preparation for the flight. They will answer the most interesting questions of adults and children;
• Exciting research shows. Including the popular show by Doctor Hull in the UK;
• Work of public scientific laboratories for children at the Fundamental library of MSU. Each child will be able to try on a new and very adult role of physicist, chemist or engineer;
• Work of large robotic area in the Fundamental library of MSU. The newest robots will actively communicate with the public, demonstrate their capabilities and even show emotions;
• Fascinating exhibition of the United Aircraft Corporation. Guests of the festival will see among the exhibits the model of jet aircraft and gain initial piloting skills of modern fighter on existing simulator. A well-known pilots, scientists and aircraft designers will talk about the present and the future of Russian aviation;
• Guided tours of laboratories and museums;
• Master-classes from the leading inventors of global renown.
Also the festival program includes scientific discussions on the future of humanity, displays current scientific and educational films on TV Science 2.0, competitions for young inventors "Scientists of the Future", the educational academy for teachers, and more.
This year key Russian scientists and grantees will give lectures about the main achievements of modern Russian science. Among them are rector of Russian National Research Medical University named after Pirogov Sergey Lukyanov, scientific director of Federal Research Centre for Nutrition Victor Tutelian and head of the Department of Institute of Organic Chemistry named after Zelinsky Valentin Ananikov.
"The program includes lectures of scientists who lead very large projects of the Federal Target Program, - director of the Department of Science and Technology of Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation Sergey Salikhov explained. - They will talk about the latest science achievements in lay terms."
According to Salikhov, about 80 territorial entities of the country took part in the Festival of Science this year.
"The festival has passed the point of no return and not only went outside Moscow, but became an integral part of "october" landscape, - director of the Department of Science and Technology stressed.
The event not only changes the mentality of the people who see that there is a science in Russia, affordable and open to everyone, but also changes the world around us. We really fix the growth of the interest of future students to technical specialties, desire of graduates to stay in science. These are the graduates who participated in the first, second and third festivals of the science."
The festival program is designed for a wide audience and includes lectures of famous Russian and foreign scientists, interactive exhibits, science shows, workshops and excursions to museums and laboratories.
The central areas of the Festival NAUKA 0 + are the Fundamental library of MSU and Shuvalovsky building of MSU. The central exhibition area is Expocentre (Krasnaya Presnya district, Moscow). Also various events of the festival will take place in more than 90 universities, museums and research centers in Moscow, which will open their doors for those who want to touch the world of science.
Volunteers will assist in the organization of the Festival of Science to create a real holiday atmosphere.
The event is planning to visit more than 850 000 people.
The first Festival of Science was held in Russia, at Lomonosov Moscow State University, in 2006. Over the three days more than 20 000 people attended the event. Since 2007, the festival has become a city-wide and is held annually with the financial and organizational support of Moscow Government. In 2011, the Festival of Science got the status of All-Russia. It is one of the most ambitious social projects in the field of science popularization, which is conducted by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, Moscow Government and Lomonosov Moscow State University.